A story about a Canadian girl and her battle against student loan debt.

Saturday, August 11, 2007

I Finished My Undergraduate Thesis!!

Oh, what a day this is!

I finally finished my undergraduate thesis! What a happy day!

Now, the reason why I'm posting this on my pf blog is because I want to reward myself for finishing my thesis. In fact, an hour after finishing it, I had the urge to go out and buy myself a pair of jeans and a top. In order to stop myself from spending that much money, I treated myself to a coffee (much cheaper) and went straight home to read pf blogs and mull it over.

On the one hand, I have been working so hard at my thesis, and I want to reward myself. But why must a reward involve spending money and buying things? I thought it wouldn't matter, but I have been sitting around, thinking about how much I want a pair of jeans and a shirt that I saw at the mall. You'd think I would've given up by now and dropped the subject. But my mind is trying to justify it, going, "you deserve it! You finished your thesis! And it has been eight long months of hard work and stress in order to finish it!" What's more is the fact that it was an optional course that I did not have to take. (Can you not hear the desperation in my voice?)

I've mentioned before that I pay attention to my emotions in order to curb my spending, but wow, I don't know. I didn't think that my spending habits were thisclose to my emotions.

/edit: An update on the whole thesis reward: I got myself a pair of Tommy Hilfiger jeans, regularly priced at $80 but reduced to $22.

4 comments:

SavingDiva said...

You should reward yourself by doing something you enjoy...but always feel guilty doing...for example, I love to sit around eat ice cream and watch TV. However, I curb this urge and make myself do something....as a treat, I allow myself to lounge around in my PJs watching reruns of House on DVD (checked out from the library of course).

Wooly Woman said...

It is such an accomplishment to finish a big project like this, I can understand the temptation for the reward! Congratulations!

I am being nosy, but am wondering (since you are on the eastcoast and there is a good forestry school out there and forestry undergrads have to write an undergrad thesis, Mr Wooly did anyway) if you really are in forestry or very closely related field?

As for the spending... I think it is ok to treat yourself once in awhile, but yes, maybe buy one item? Find something else on sale?

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!

Margaret McDonald said...

Well, neither way you did was certainly a much needed celebration after grueling time writing the thesis paper. And It is also a good idea to have break every once in a while when doing thesis writing. Anyway, how’s your life now that you are a degree holder?

I hope you enjoy my blog. No refunds. :)