A story about a Canadian girl and her battle against student loan debt.

Monday, August 13, 2007

He Pays, She Pays

I usually go out with guys one on one. Not on dates, but just male friends that I have. They often offer to pay for dinner, and I'll say no, I'll pay my share. And then they'll refuse and pay my share anyway.

Uh, hello? We're students/fresh grads here. And we're not dating. So why are these guys paying for me?

I recently talked to a guy friend about it and he said that I should stop trying so hard to pay for my share. When I asked him why, he said I needed to let guys be guys and I was taking away their pride.

Uh, hello x2?

Apparently I'm too strong willed (read: stubborn) and they said I need to just back down and let them win on this. It makes no sense to me. I can see why guys should open doors for girls (it's charming!) or walk us home at night (how nice!) but paying for dinner when we're not dating? How unfair and unnecessary!

I think that pf bloggers would probably agree with me on this, but I think it's funny that other people don't. I've had my drinks paid for, my dinners paid for, desserts paid for, coffee paid for, and for what? Because they feel like they're less of a man if I pay for things? Errr.

3 comments:

krystalatwork said...

When I go out with my male friends, they always insist on paying for me too. It's kind of annoying, but also in a way I think it's nice.

That being said, it got to a point where I told a male friend (who makes a lot less than me) last night that I would feel better if we took turns paying, because it isn't fair to him. Then I refused to see him in any money-spending situations going forward unless he agreed. :)

Nikole B said...

I always have an I pay this time - you pay next time going with all my friends! It all works out in the end.

Anonymous said...

Some of my male friends do this for me, but those that do have a full-time job. I felt bad at first but eventually I tried to let go because sometimes you are just paying so you can go out even if the other friend can't afford it. Honestly, I have paid for people simply because I wanted company despite their budget.

Try to just take it, or recipricate in other ways (not that one... obviously).

I hope you enjoy my blog. No refunds. :)