A story about a Canadian girl and her battle against student loan debt.

Monday, August 6, 2007

US$ Account not CDIC Insured

I just found out that my US$ bank account is not CDIC insured. I always thought that if the CDN account was CDIC insured, then so would the USD account. Now that I think about it, I guess it makes a lot of sense. Then again, it's not like the US$ is going to collapse any time soon.

I'm on the hunt for high interest rates again. Some US$ accounts available in Canada:
Altamira at 4.75%
ING Direct at 3.50%
eTrade at 4.75%

I have some more comparing to do to figure out which ones have the least charges/fees and stuff.

2 comments:

krystalatwork said...

Why do you have a US$ bank account? Do you travel to the states a lot?

Angie said...

I get scholarship money in US$, and what with the exchange rate having gone up dramatically in the last two years, it's just not worth it to convert it to CDN$ just yet.

I hope you enjoy my blog. No refunds. :)