A story about a Canadian girl and her battle against student loan debt.

Wednesday, August 1, 2007

HSBC Direct Ready to Go

I looked at my blog on another computer and it looked horribly ugly, with LIME GREEN and shades of orange and whatnot. It looked funky on my computer, but oh well, I changed the layout to something else that was more universally appealing. On another note, I also need to go and check out these other blogs of amazing people who leave me comments! It's so exciting. It's like Christmas Day every time I log on here.

Anyway, on to topic. I signed up for HSBC Direct when I found out their interest rate is at 5.00%. It's promotional, but I decided to sign up anyway. Let me talk about this confusing process.

First, I went on this site and clicked on start application. I filled out the application online. I don't think they have a paper application. Anyways, after a whole bunch of questions, they ask to print off a signature sheet and mail them in a cheque with the initial deposit. The cheque had to have my name and address on it. I also needed to write down my confirmation number on the cheque. I had to mail it in to Vancouver, which is pretty far from where I am, so I decided to wait a week before getting nervous. It took in total almost two weeks before I saw the cheque cashed in my regular bank account. I don't like having my money floating out there, so I was nervous.

You'll notice that I had no way of knowing that my account was set up unless I saw my cheque cashed in my bank account. I didn't get a phone call, email, or letter sent to my home.

Next, I was wondering how I would be able to log on to the account online... Well, after searching the FAQs on the website, I found out I have to set up personal internet banking to do this! But to do that, I need a Personal Identification Number (PIN). How did I get that? I had to call in 1-877-621-8811 and after pressing a bunch of buttons, found an actual person to speak to. I found out that to set up personal internet banking, I also need the last ten digits of my bank card. But wait! What bank card? So the guy on the phone ended up having to tell me the last ten digits of my bank card as well as a temporary PIN. At this point, I'm getting confused. Anyway, so he finishes telling me what to do and puts me back on their phone system, where I punch in my temporary PIN and put in a new PIN. So now what?

After pushing a couple more buttons and getting nowhere, I hung up and got on HSBC Direct's online banking website. I plugged in my PIN and the last ten digits of the bank card that the guy on the phone told me. Then they ask me for more security questions! So after I fill those out, I'm able to finally log on to my account. There, I see my savings account and the $100 I deposited.

Next, I wanted to transfer over some more money... Well, their navigation looks like this:

First I clicked on Transfers, but that got me nowhere, so I clicked on Bank to Bank Transfers. (You might be thinking "Duh!" at this point, but man, I was tired and confused.) Clicking on Bank to Bank Transfers finally allowed me to transfer more money from my bank account to my HSBC direct account. I did that yesterday, and nothing has shown up yet on either bank account, so I'm hoping I did it right and waiting to see what else happens...

Man this was a confusing process.

No comments:

I hope you enjoy my blog. No refunds. :)