A story about a Canadian girl and her battle against student loan debt.

Monday, July 30, 2007

The Cost of a Nap is $12.23/hr

A lot of students in school (myself included) like to sleep in and miss their morning classes. Heck, a lot of students like to sleep through their afternoon classes. And let’s not forget evening classes either…

My friend used to do this a lot, and I always yelled at him. What is the point of studying in university if you are going to be napping through your classes? In order to threaten him into going to classes, I asked him to calculate the ‘cost’ of his naps.

I calculated it today, and it’s actually $12.23 per hour. So a three hour class that meets each week would be $12.23 x 3 hrs for $36.69 per week.

Even worse than that cost, I think, is the amount of invaluable information that I would miss if I missed my classes. I try not to miss any classes because I learn best by listening to someone speak for a few hours rather than reading the information. It inevitably shows up on the final exam anyways. Even worse yet is the possibility of spending so much money on school and then flunking out—then what do you have to show for your debt? Not to say that napping through one or two classes will flunk you out, but the missing class adds up financially and takes a hit on you academically.

4 comments:

Wooly Woman said...

It always annoyed me when people took school way less seriously than me... especially if they appeared to do just as well as I did! Or even worse, blamed the teacher for their flunking when they weren't there half the time. $12 is a lot to pay for nap I think!

Adventures In Money Making said...

thats a good way to look at it.

I've been guilty of it myself :(

SavingDiva said...

I went to a private school, so it was a bit more than that. My coach calculated it and would yell at any of his athletes that would skip class.

GoldnSilver said...

It's your friend's parents paying for college?

I bet your friend will stay awake if he was the one paying.

I hope you enjoy my blog. No refunds. :)