A story about a Canadian girl and her battle against student loan debt.

Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Me, My Parents, and My Visa Bill

Ever since I started university, my parents have watched every single bill I get. Yes, my parents open my bank statements and my visa bills. They do this with my younger brother as well. They claim they do it because they're afraid we'll miss a payment or make a late payment otherwise, but I know the truth is that they want to know exactly where we spend our money.

My brother spends freely like money is water, and so he gets a lot of heat from my parents for his insane visa bills. He'll even make late payments!

I try to cut down on my spending by eating more cheaply. This concerns my parents a lot. They think that I am starving myself to pay for school, so they always tell me "remember to eat" even though it's ridiculous--how can I forget to eat?

The other thing my parents have done in the past when they've worried I've been cheap on food in order to pay for school is that they'll occassionally pay my visa bill for me. Now, that makes me concerned, because:
  1. They don't even have enough money to retire, how can they start paying my visa bills?
  2. What kind of financial responsibility will that teach me if I can just rely on my parents to pay off my visa?
So what I end up doing is not watching the payment due date like most people. Instead, what I do is go online to watch the statement issue date like a hawk. About two days or so before the statement is issued for the month, I go in and pay the balance. That way, when the visa statement arrives at my parents' house, they'll open it and see a ridiculously low balance. Hence, they think I'm frugal, and I get them to stop paying my bills.

I'm writing this cause my statement will be issued in another two days. Time to go pay off that balance.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey thanks for coming and commenting on my blog. Great advice, I am getting more organized, think the big thing for me was keeping the paid off stuff around to remind myself that I have indeed accomplished something.

I am biting this in the butt, big time. I appreciate all the support and comments from readers like you that leave comments that I can put to good use.

Lol, isn't it funny how you and your brother look at things completely differently. You are gonna come out of school so much further ahead. Do you think it is because of two different personalities? Have you always seen things differently?

I think it is great that your parents are supportive of both of you, no matter how differently you both approach your credit cards, but can't you hear them on the phone with him? "If you would be more like your sister, ....." he probably gets an earful huh.

Hang in there. What are your goals once your education is done? Besides leaving almost debt free?

Anonymous said...

Its great you're so good with your parents- your life will be more blessed because you are good to your parents.
Your brother may be having a bit more fun though. 50 is not a lot to use on clothes.
set aside a fun fund for a sale item or swap your friends for some new gear. Live a little and be frugal!

Anonymous said...

You are amazing. Btw, I don't know if this is something you could consider, but I just had my credit card issue online statements and do away with the paper entirely. Saves paper, and your parents need never see it. Though it sounds like they might worry if they didn't get that little monthly reassurance that you've got a sensible head on your shoulders, eh?

Now, anything you can suggest for parents who have access to your bank account? I keep assuring them that I've budgeted and planned ahead, so that I'll be fine, but they'll keep shoving money into my account - just like yours, when they haven't really got anything for their own retirements. :\

Adventures In Money Making said...

its your parents job to worry. I'm 33 and my mom still thinks I'll forget to wear a sweater in cold weather!!!

I hope you enjoy my blog. No refunds. :)