A story about a Canadian girl and her battle against student loan debt.

Friday, September 7, 2007

Taking a Class

I just paid about $350 for a three day workshop that is being held at a local college. When I suggested it to my boss, he said that he had heard good things about it and thought it would be a good idea.

I'm not getting reimbursed for it from work (I wish!), because I'm working on a student contract--one of the lowest of the lows, down there under part-time, contract, and temporary work. I don't get benefits or anything remotely close to that. But that's ok, because this $350 is an investment in myself.

I talked to him about taking more regular classes at a local college (non-transferable credits to my university, unfortunately) and he suggested that I not do that. He said I should focus on my job here, and that I'll learn a lot. Sometimes it's better to just take it easy and not get exhausted. Ironically, a lot of people have said that same thing to me. Should I take that as a sign?

A lot of people at work think I am 17 years old. I don't know where they got this idea from, because I sure didn't tell them that! I don't know what it is about me--is it the way I look? The way I talk? My acne coming to haunt me again? I am unsure. What worries me is that they'll think I'm more young and inexperienced than I actually am and they'll hold back from seeing me as an actual employee and just see me as some kid. That's scary because I would love to work at my current job full-time after graduating and wouldn't want them to think I'm not capable.

No comments:

I hope you enjoy my blog. No refunds. :)