A story about a Canadian girl and her battle against student loan debt.

Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Redeeming Air Miles

I deposited money in the bank today to put towards my exchange. If you add up the total amount of money I put away for exchange and my student loans, that's more than $10 000. It's exciting to see that I've reached the five figure point!

My dad asked me to loan him $2500 so I had to take that out of my exchange savings. That's kind of a bummer to see my balance go down so drastically. Sigh.

I'm looking at how much it costs for a plane ticket for my exchange. I got a quote yesterday and it's going to cost something like $1220 for a round trip ticket, but that's only if I return within three months. It's going to cost more if I want to return later than that (and I do). I didn't ask though cause the lady at the counter was so rude, I wanted to just throw a business card in her face and walk out. (But I didn't).

My dad told me he's going to redeem his air miles for the trip, so now I have to learn how to redeem air miles points on their website. Most of the offers available on the air miles website are for travel within three months as well (i.e. if I leave in January, I have to return in March). I'm wondering if it's better to get two separate one-way tickets because there's 10% discounts if I do, or if I should just get one round trip ticket instead. I'm leaving during the low season, but I'm returning during the high season... I've never booked a flight before or redeemed air miles, so this is another financial first.

No comments:

I hope you enjoy my blog. No refunds. :)