A story about a Canadian girl and her battle against student loan debt.

Friday, September 21, 2007

Cost of Safety

Most things I'm pretty cheap about. I don't like paying more than I have to for cotton pads to clean my face, which is saying something since I've already mentioned before how much my skin needs help.

However, I'd be willing to pay good money to catch the sick guys who sexually assaulted two girls at York University. Same for the guy at Carleton, because the kind of torment that he put that girl through? That's enough for him to deserve having his balls cut off. Slowly. And then having his balls fed to wild dogs.

I'm mentioning this on my blog because I am so, so angry at those guys. It isn't right, and I'm beyond outraged. To them I ask, was it really worth it?

Even though I move very often to save money on rent, I always pick places I think are safe and have my parents come and take a look around to see if they like it. They've often encouraged me to pay that extra $100 a month for their own peace of mind. I always griped about it, but after all, they were right.

I'm also still deciding about where I'm going to live while on my exchange. The school I am going to is bigger and nearly not as safe. My friend went there last year, and she told me it's not the kind of place where you can walk around at night. I was talking to another girl who came on exchange to my school from France, and she said she was astounded at how quiet things are here, and she used to take the opportunity to walk to the grocery store in the evening, astounded that she could.

A few of the residences I looked at for my term abroad are in a rather unsafe neighbourhood. I decided on another residence that is in a safer location. I might have to get a bus pass just from the stories I've heard about students getting mugged, walking on the way home, at the school I'm going to. But some things are more important than money.

2 comments:

SavingDiva said...

I'm glad to hear that you take your safety seriously. So frequently, we think we're so safe because we feel invincible. I recently had a friend that was beat up and mugged...it's really made me a lot more cautious...

Jo said...

I'm also one to pay more for my safety. And I personally think that it is a smart decision. I will not walk home at night by myself ( I don't even understand how people can do this!). I will take a cab, even if it is expensive. And I will also not live in an area in which I am uncomfortable. I will gladly pay the extra for my peronal comfort in terms of safety.

I hope you enjoy my blog. No refunds. :)