A story about a Canadian girl and her battle against student loan debt.

Thursday, September 20, 2007

Money Comes, Money Goes

I was all happy cause I got backpay from my previous employer to the tune of about $125, which was more than I expected. Then, I went to work and got an email from HR saying that they had overpaid me in the last pay period and would have to deduct it from the next pay period. Guess how much they overpaid me? $121.

Sigh. Money comes, money goes.

On the other hand, the Canadian dollar reached parity with the American dollar today for the first time in 30 years. I'm sure that everyone in Canada's already heard about it (we all heard it at work too). I have no idea how this is going to affect things. For instance, when the Canadian dollar was hitting all-time lows five years ago at 60-something cents to the US dollar, we weren't getting any savings over here in the form of lower prices on things. So I don't know if we'll see prices for things rise either?

Lastly... I was looking at properties around here to get a feel of what my next financial moves will be in a year's time. The only thing I'd be able to afford are small condos. I'd basically need a downpayment of $40 000. That's insane! But I know it's necessary since it's pretty much the biggest purchase I'll make. My dad says the housing market isn't good for buying right now cause things here are overinflated. A good time to sell, yes, but buy? Not yet. Which is alright since I have to save up $40 000 for a downpayment on anything anyways and that's going to take time and a full-time job after graduation.

No comments:

I hope you enjoy my blog. No refunds. :)