A story about a Canadian girl and her battle against student loan debt.

Wednesday, April 30, 2008

The 'Dilemma'

To date I have paid off 50.2% of my student loans, or $10 608.73. I lose interest-free status tomorrow and the last thing I want is to pay loads and loads in interest. I do have the funds set aside to pay off the remainder of my student loans ($10 528.27).

The problem? It's in American dollars instead of Canadian.

I don't want to convert that to Canadian right now because the Canadian dollar is still riding too strong and we all know that the Canadian dollar is on a decline right now. Part of me is itching to pay off the rest of my student loans while the other part says to be patient and just wait--I would lose too much in the conversion.

I've always thought I ought to learn about investments, and I have friends who dabble in the stock market with their American currency. I think I should make some sort of investment, but it would have to be long term.

My gut says don't cash in the American and use it to invest. Still, I hate staring at my student loan totals.

No comments:

I hope you enjoy my blog. No refunds. :)