A story about a Canadian girl and her battle against student loan debt.

Friday, January 25, 2008

£200, Gone Just Like That

Every time I move to a new place I have to spend money to buy things to settle down, and this time was definitely no exception. I had to spend money on plates, a pan, laundry detergent, toilet paper, plastic containers for lunch, etc, etc... Basically anything that wasn't worth carrying in my suitcase from Canada--especially since I'd be travelling alone. I spent £20 on a taxi ride to the university from the airport since I wasn't going to bus it with my bags. I also spent £25 on a pair of boots because, hello, it rains here A LOT (which I was told) and there are puddles and ponds and lakes to contend with on the way to class (which I wasn't told, but should have realized). All in all, I've already spent £200, although a lot of it was for "one-offs" as they say here.

Back in Canada I would tell myself not to go out for coffee with friends and not allow myself to eat out for lunch since I was saving for the UK. Now that I've arrived and I'm letting myself spend the money I budgeted for this experience I feel so happy. It was well worth it to scrimp and save those extra dollars so I could be here, complaining about the cost of food and buying it anyway.

No comments:

I hope you enjoy my blog. No refunds. :)