A story about a Canadian girl and her battle against student loan debt.

Friday, October 12, 2007

"I'm not a man who makes $10 and spends $11."

So, put some more money aside--I am now up to 67.2% on the exchange savings. Wish it was 100% but what can you do?

Talked to my parents again about graduate studies vs. working full time. I want to do both and it's hard to decide on one or the other. First I had decided to work full time to be able to support my parents. This is when my dad went "I'm not a man who makes $10 and spends $11." Meaning, they've put some money aside, and if I want to study for another two years, then they'll rely on their savings.

Still, hard to decide what I want to do. I've been asking a lot of people for their opinions--both adults and peers. One lady at work asked if a master's will help me get a job, or a better job than I could get now already. The answer isn't clear for the field that I'm in--I'm quite sure I could get by without one. Many people are in the field with jobs without a master's degree.

I think that I just want a master's degree or something.

6 comments:

Esme said...

Hi Angie,
I went through the same thing when I was close to graduation.

I decided to work for awhile and save up for graduate school. Also, it would give me some practical experience. Sounds like you are working as well so it might be different. But a few people I know had trouble landing that first job after Master's because they didn't have any experience to justify the higher level of pay they are expecting with a Master's.

Good luck with your decision.

Anonymous said...

Is the main reason you are hesitant because of your parents? Do they know this? I think most parents, and I bet yours are in this category, very much want to give their kids every opportunity to get set up for life, including a rich education. Is it possible they might actually be distraught if they thought their child was turning away from a MA for their sake?

Emm said...

hey there!

i just stumbled upon your site, i'm canadian as well and identify with so much you're writing. i just started my PF blog, and so i haven't really wrote much, but i look forward to reading more from you in the future. i added you to my links list!

-emm

SavingDiva said...

You could get a job out of school with a company that would be willing to finance your masters degree. It would take longer to get your masters degree, but there wouldn't be the debt (and you'd have an almost guaranteed job when you finished).

Anonymous said...

I am seconding the comments made by both browneyedgirl and savingdiva. I have a friend who finished her master's degree about a year ago, and has since been working as a hostess at a restaurant full-time, and as an unpaid intern at an art museum (her field) part-time (for the last two months). She went on to masters straight from undergrad, but it has been extremely difficult for her to find the right job in the right field. Initially, she was looking for a job that would justify her masters, but now she's just looking for any job in her area of studies.

In addition, most of the "excellent" jobs in her field require a masters degree, but they also require practical experience. The latter of which she doesn't have. And its becoming more difficult to secure since she can only focus on that part-time, for she needs to earn a living full-time.

Anonymous said...

all i know is, your dad has some nifty sayings! i'm gonna have to file that one and use it this weekend when i go home for Easter :) my dad will love it.

I hope you enjoy my blog. No refunds. :)